Based in Thurso, the most northerly town on the British mainland, Wolfburn Distillery was originally founded by William Smith in 1821. Wolfburn was a significant producers of malt whisky and some tax records show it being the largest distillery in Caithness. The distillery eventually closed sometime around 1860 (nobody knows for sure) before being reawakened around 150 years later in 2011. Although some of the foundations of the original distillery remain, the new Wolfburn Distillery is just a short walk along the burn from the old site. The distillery was designed to balance efficiency with traditional production techniques. Wolfburn has no automation and from milling through to bottling everything is done on site by hand with care and attention.